Saturday, February 16, 2013

Sub 30 5K


My neighborhood had their yearly 5K this morning. I was 14 seconds over a sub 30 5K the last time I ran a 5K race. For those that don't know, it means you run 3.1 miles (5K) in less than 30 minutes. That was my goal this morning as I ran over to the clubhouse where the race starts. I did an easy slow jog on the way there to get warmed up. I focused and envisioned myself going steady and just a bit faster than I did last time. I wanted to finally do that 5K in under 30 minutes. I was surrounded by high school kids that were trying to run this 5K in under 20 minutes. Ah, youth, what beauty! They took off at a full sprint and I could barely see them when I rounded the corner. That was okay, I took off at my goal pace. I was doing great when some man stopped right in front of me to tie his show. The word IDIOT almost left my lips but I was too worried about crashing into him and I jumped to my left thinking I wouldn't make it and would stumble over him. I did make it. The adrenalin rush was convenient. When I hit two miles, the timing clock said 18min 59sec. I was under 30 minutes if I kept going steady. I was going to do it if I could just keep it up for about 9 more minutes. 540 seconds of exertion. I told myself "You got this, don't stop, don't give up, you got this!!!"

29 minutes and 28 seconds after I took my first step, my feet crossed the finish line. I did it. Sub 30 5K, CHECK! Off my list. Next goal, Disney Princess Half Marathon - 8 days away!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment