Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2 days after the Disney Princess Half Marathon


What an amazing experience. The morning started at 2:30am. Yes, that early! We woke up, got ready, packed up our car and were off to the race. A DJ, lights and over 20,000 of our closest friends were there to join our group. Everyone waiting for that same moment when we are in our corral and it's finally time to get this marathon on the way! One by one, each corral was told to go with a round of fireworks and cheer. We were in corral F so it took quite while but when it was our turn, I remember thinking of all the runs it took to get me here and right when I crossed that start line, I felt gratitude that I could be here and that I had made it all the way here and felt great about it. The race began, we took off and you have to give credit to Disney for making it a show along the way. Plenty of places to take picstures although the lines were so long that I decided to keep going. There were 3 of us together then 2 then my friend stepped away for a second to grab water and she didn't tell me and so I had kept going. When I looked back, she was nowhere in sight and I decided to keep going and to keep going strong.

I went into my own thoughts and took in every single second, character, view and kept going. I crossed the finish line 2 hours, 31 minutes and 26 seconds after having started. When I saw the finish line I remember thinking, "I DID IT". And I had done it, I had finished what I had started many months ago and I felt great! Just one problem, I want to do it again...

My friend and I left the race in such elation and then the hunger set in! I checked my heart monitor and realized that I had burned over 2,000 calories. So here's a picture showing you how real princesses eat.
Photo: The lunch of champions! Chicken fried chicken!  Yeah.....
Cracker Barrel - CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN, YEAH
I used to wonder why people got so addicted to running and now I am one of them but now I know the answer. It's the power of knowing you can do this, it's the glory of crossing that finish line and getting your medal, it's the satisfaction of setting out to do something that not everyone does, it's the getting healthy and noticing that you not only look fit but you feel fit, the energy, the high, the physical health, and the fun. All these things lead to my running addiction. Next stop, Key Biscayne Half Marathon in April. I'm ready. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment