Thursday, February 23, 2017

Nathan Firecatcher Hydration Vest Review - Running Bliss!

Two moths ago, my husband gave me the Nathan Firecatcher hydration vest for Christmas. Being one of those women that hates carrying things on a run, I had not used it. I usually take a water bottle and my arm pocket and I'm good to go. I believed that I would hate every minute of wearing a heavy vest and that it would be incredibly uncomfortable.....  I WAS SOOOO WRONG!!!!!

A few weeks ago, my husband and I went out for a longish run together. I took my usual water bottle in hand and he took his vest. By the middle of the run, I had hot water and he had cold water. By three quarters of the run, I was looking for a water fountain to refill my bottle and he still had cold water. And by the end of the run, I was drinking from his vest and he still had cold water! Fast forward to this past Monday.

I'm currently registered for the Sarasota half marathon and doing my long runs as part of my usual training. I had been in Orlando with my children and decided to do my long run on Monday as I returned late Sunday night. I was going for 10 miles. That's not a very long run but long enough in Florida with the hot weather that you want cold water. I decided to try the vest thinking I would hate it. I even put my arm pocket in the car and thought if I really couldn't stand it, one mile in, I would go back to my car, take it off and grab the arm pocket instead and a water bottle which I left in a cooler in my car. I woke up early Monday morning, grabbed my vest, filled the bladder with a ton of ice and a lot of water. It felt heavy I thought. Definitely heavy enough to be uncomfortable but I was willing to give it a try. I also put a mini speaker in one pocket and thought, wow, this is great, it fits!  I love to listen to music on my runs and my cell phone cover limits the sound plus the arm pocket holding the phone limits it as well. In my right pocket, I put my phone and pepper spray. In two additional side pockets, I put some toilet paper and Gu's. I was ready.

Small round speaker in my left pocket.
Cell phone and pepper spray in right pocket.
I got to my running destination and threw my license and keys in the back pocket of the vest and then adjusted all the straps for a snug fit. I started my run wondering how long I would be able to stand the vest and found myself gliding quite comfortably on my run. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought it would. The adjustable straps work great even while running to tighten the vest for a practically bounce free ride. I was so surprised. Around mile 2, I went to have water. It was so cold and refreshing! I was in heaven. I decided to then turn on my speaker and connect my phone which I was able to do so in seconds because I didn't have to unzip my arm pocket and fight to get the phone out and in back again. The vest pockets are so easily accessible. I was jamming to loud music and the miles began drifting away as I could drink cold water whenever I wanted to without taking off a cap. Just sip it anytime I wanted. Ah yes, before I forget, when you take the first sip after not having had water for a little while, the water in the tube becomes warm. My husband had warned me to spit out that first gulp. So I would just spit that one out before hitting the wonderful, really cold water!!! HEAVEN!  I thought, this is running heaven. Sounds dramatic doesn't it? But I seriously felt elated. I took a Gu at mile 5 without stopping b/c I just unzipped the side pocket, got it and continued on my run. I also hit the Key Biscayne bridge at this mile just as Journey came on singing "Don't Stop Believing". I had runners thank me for the great tune up the bridge. The speaker was loud and I could hear it clearly (as could other runners). I had turned into the great person sharing a jam or the annoying person with way too loud music on a run - you pick! I loved it. 

At about mile 8, I stopped for a bathroom break and of course, no toilet paper in the bathroom but hey, who cares?!?!?! I have some on me in my other side pocket!!! It was like running with a backpack full of things I like to have on my runs. And don't forget, COLD WATER!  In hot Florida, I had COLD WATER! AND LOUD MUSIC!!! I found myself thinking of Princess Jasmine from Aladdin and how I could be her right now singing "A Whole New World" to my Nathan vest. Yes, that's how happy I was! At about mile 9, I cranked things up and did negative splits on my last two miles and even added an extra mile because I was feeling so darn happy.

So my final words on getting a hydration pack...

"A whole new world
A dazzling place I never knew
But when I'm way up here
It's crystal clear
That now I'm in a whole new world with you (my wonderful vest)"









No comments:

Post a Comment