Sunday, November 9, 2014

I walked out... I quit, and that's just fine.



I've had more stories of success than failure but that doesn't make walking out of a race any easier. I'd love to say I got hurt or something incredible happened but that would be lying and I always keep it real. So why did I walk out? 

This morning I woke up and felt ill to my stomach. Whatever virus my son had definitely got me but as usual, us moms don't just fall with viruses. They linger because our bodies are always worried about taking care of others. So instead of just catching the virus, I've been playing with it. I'm nauseous, I'm not. I'm nauseous, I dry heave, I'm fine. This has been going on since yesterday. I woke up this morning and felt so sick, I couldn't have a good breakfast. That was probably when I should have called this quits but I wanted to give it 100% and have no regrets. I got to the race site and spent a good 30 minutes in the car thinking about going home. My second opportunity to go home. I ignored it and kept on. Probably not my smartest choice but I wanted to try.

My wave went into the water at 7:25 and I was averaging it would take me between 45-50 minutes. I'm not a fast swimmer so that was a decent average for me. Then came the dry heaving. I almost  got sick 5 times. I kept going and completed the swim somehow but with a lengthy time of 1:04. As I got out of the water, the rain let on with a vengeance. I could barely see.

I got to my bike, got my things on and started to drag towards the bike course under the relentless rain and tried to eat something. No luck. I couldn't do it. Then I prayed. I asked God for a sign and just as I was about to get on my bike, I see a young man coming back and he looks at me and tells me "It's miserable out there, slick and wet and it's going to be a hell of a long ride." I asked "You went out?" to which he said "Yes, 10 miles and I came back. I have kids at home and I'm not willing to have an accident. I've done many of these races and there's no shame in quitting. Sometimes you gotta know when it's not your day". It was my sign. It was not my day. Thank you God.

So in 12 weeks, I did not miss a training, I was prepared and ready. It was a most difficult decision to abandon something I had been working towards for 12 weeks but sitting here having saltines and Sprite and feeling sick, it was the right decision today. I could not have gone 56 miles and 13.1 without food. So I walked out. As simple as that. No injury, no crash, no wonderful story to decorate the fact that I quit. I chose to quit the race, not my healthy lifestyle. One race does not define me. There will be more races but there's only one me to take care of my family and I chose me today. I chose me feeling okay and not getting hurt. That's a good choice. And I tried. Sometimes, that's the best you can do. Next time, things will go better. I will try again. It's all good.    


6 comments:

  1. Not that you need any reassurance but it sounds like you definitely made the RIGHT choice. Obviously it was not what you wanted but it was what was necessary and right. It soundsike your priorities are in check and that's more important than any race. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooooooooooooo much Tia! Your kinds words brought a smile to my face and that's really nice for me today! <3

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you did the right thing but oh, that had to be so hard! I know that week before my marathon, I was washing my hands like crazy and hoping I didn't catch anything from my patients. Even though you know you couldn't have done your race, it had to be hard to call it quits. Look back on your training and relish the journey. Because that's really what it's all about. I hope you feel better fast!

    ~Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Wendy! I did the same before my full and before this race. Took extra vitamin c, was careful but when my 3 yr old spent 48 hr on top of me, I knew I was probably done. I wanted to deny it and I tried but yes, it was the right call this time, difficult, but right. The journey continues, that's the best part! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your quote,"One race does not define me." That says it all. It had to been a tough decision, but it was made based on your courage, wisdom and strength. You will rally back! Good luck ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly! The support from all the moms out there has been so amazing. It was tough but it was right and like you said, I will rally back, no doubt!!!! We Mommyathlons are tough like that right?! ;-)

      Delete